Sunday, September 18, 2011

Some like it hot...

This morning when I popped down to the weekly Latrobe markets for some fresh veggies the sun was shining and the sky was a brilliant blue. It was a far cry from the horrible blustery and wet conditions just a day before! In fact it was, I thought, a great taste of Spring with maybe just a gentle touch of coolness in the breeze. I stopped by one of only the two stands selling veggies at the market and spoke to the vendor. He was a very congenial bloke in his 70's, I mention this only to illustrate that he has been around for a while and most likely knows what he is talking about when it comes to life and Tasmanian weather. He commented on how lovely the weather was and added that Summer has come early. I smiled and agreed, paid for my selection of veggies and went on my way. 


It wasn't until a little later that morning as I hung out some washing and watched Olivia playing in the sunlight bathed garden that it occurred to me...this day, this weather, the weather that I thought of as Spring, is perhaps considered as Summer in Tassie! My ears suddenly rang with the words from the smiling veggie man! Oh dear, does this mean cardigans and jeans will be a 12 month affair? Does a potential 30 degree Celsius day deem cause for warnings from emergency services down here? Surely a taste of Summer will at least present opportunity for the wearing of decent strappy sandal??? 

Whatever the case, today's taste of sunshine...Spring or Summer-like, was wonderful. Poor hubby unfortunately has far too much Uni workload happening at the moment so he did miss a beauty of a day as he slogged away, head buried in lap top and books. Liv and I on the other hand had a great time at the park playing and checking out some great spots for many future picnics by the beautiful Mersey River at Latrobe. The smell of people barbecuing nearly drove us both crazy as it neared lunch time and Olivia even tried her charms on one group of picnic-ers in the vain hope that they might spare us a sausage sanga! Most parks around Tassie seem to have free electric BBQs which is a great thing to see. Perhaps we will post soon with our own experience with one. We even had a chance to knick up to Devonport via River Road on the way home to see the boats on the shimmering sapphire water. It really was stunning and I get goose bumps every time I see the giant Spirit of Tasmania boat(s) docked. I wonder when/if that will wear off?

Looking for Platypus, Mersey River, Latrobe

The rest of the day we just pottered about the house and in the kitchen. I cooked one of the two bunches of rhubarb I bought this morning (2 for $5). It is, like so many acts in the kitchen, more of a technique than a recipe, but I like to roast rhubarb for 15-20 minutes at 180C, cut into short lengths and tossed with a little sugar, vanilla and orange zest and juice. I managed to get my hands on some blood oranges the other day so this was an ideal use for one. I also added a little of the thick and strongly scented local honey I bought this morning as the rhubarb still seemed on the tart side after roasting. The honey also added a little extra syrup to the tender pink stalks. I also always cover the roasting pan with a damp piece of baking paper so there is some steaming action happening. This retains the roasting juices and ensures the rhubarb doesn't caramelise to much or too quickly. Here is my sous chef in action.



Thick local honey called "Garden Variety"

Liv tucking in the rhubarb before roasting.

Roasted rhubarb.

It did cool down quite a bit as the afternoon wore on so this roasted rhubarb and its' juices paired with a thick lemon-scented custard were just the thing for dessert tonight. Still, I am looking forward to Summer raspberries on our pav!  Plenty more to post very soon!

x Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment